DCOM Errors when creating COM Objects in IIS
Andy
2006-03-09 13:08:39 UTC
Hi all,

I'm having a few problems creating COM objects in IIS. The issue only seems
to affect a couple of our own custom COM objects. The COM objects are in use
on thousands of servers but the problem only seems to appear on the one I am
looking at. Basically I'm seeing errors come back from ASP saying Invalid
ProgID. Event Viewer is showing the following:

Event ID: 10010
Source: DCOM
The server {D83BA03B-B176-4C22-BE32-14B185EB1318} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

It shows this for a number of our custom COM objects (but not any Windows
ones!). The machine is running Windows 2000 Server SP4.

I've looked up the event in google and on eventid.net but can't find
anything that seems to help.

I've also written a VBS file to create one of the affected COM components
and that works (even when it still fails in ASP).

I've tried reregistering the affected components, as well as checking the
registration manually in regedit.

I've used regmon and filemon to make sure the registry keys and files are
being found, and they are. There don't appear to be any "Access Denied"
errors...

The issue affects all users (including administrative users).

A little bit of relevant history about the network: COM+ was reinstalled two
weeks ago to fix a possibly related problem. Component Services was giving
the following message: "Server catalog version is not supported", research
online showed that reinstalling COM+ was required.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy
ChrisA
2006-03-09 21:37:29 UTC
Taking a wild guess, but it seems like aspnet_wp don't have the permissions
needed to reach across the network -- assuming this is a DCOM object. That
might explain why your VBS works, since it's running with your logged on
rights.

I have a similar problem -- I can't reach network shares from ASP.NET.
Andy
Luke Zhang [MSFT]
2006-03-10 02:36:54 UTC
Hello,

Since the components can be created in VBS successfully, It is mostly like
a security issue. And, you also mentioned the COM+ service was reinstalled
recently, this may be the reason for security setting channges. So, in the
Compnent Services manager, you may find the COM+ application of your ASP
application, and set its identity with a local administrator, will this
help on the issue?

Luke Zhang
rights.)
Andy
2006-03-10 12:08:49 UTC
Hi Luke,

I've tried as you suggested, but without any success.

I also tried adding the IWAM account to the Administrators group and this
did not work either. I have also checked that the IWAM account password is
synced with IIS.

I'm also seeing this coming out of the logging for our ASP application that
is trying to create the COM object:

10-Mar 2006 12:03:18:789 d...(2800)* Err.Number = -2146959355
10-Mar 2006 12:03:18:804 d...(2800)* Err.Description = 006~ASP
0177~Server.CreateObject Failed~Server execution failed

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy
rights.)
Andy
2006-03-10 14:57:02 UTC
Hi all,

Little bit more info...

I've discovered that this only seems to affect COM components that run in
their own EXE's. DLLs are not affected...

Thanks,

Andy
rights.)
Luke Zhang [MSFT]
2006-03-13 03:14:02 UTC
Hello Andy,

DLL components will be run is same process of caller and EXE component will
have its own process. It may lack of permission to launch a new process.
Since you have try to add IWAM in loca admin group, how about add IUSER
also? will this help?

Luke Zhang
rights.)
Andy
2006-03-13 09:50:43 UTC
Hmmm...I scheduled a reboot of the server for 6am...and the reboot seems to
have cleared the problem.

I kind of wish I had mroe closure than that though as I would be good to
know what the problem was! I'm thinking it probably wasn't permissions
though as a reboot wouldn't fix a permissions issue..would it?

I know it's an old problem, but could this be anything to do with it?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q312074

The server is W2K SP4, so should already include this hotfix (and the
modified dates on the file listing are more recent than those on the
listing).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy
rights.)
Luke Zhang [MSFT]
2006-03-14 03:14:47 UTC
It is possible that it is still a permission issue. When we made some
changes on Win 2K, it may not affect immediately until a reboot. For
example, a reboot will restart the IIS and other processes.

Luke Zhang
rights.)
Andy
2006-03-14 13:51:23 UTC
Before the reboot though I removed the IWAM and IUSR accounts from the local
administrators group (we need to keep the server secure!)

Thanks for your help though Luke, much appreciated!

Andy